Regarding the Handicap - For your consideration.

A general forum for members and friends of OSGN to discuss various non-game related topics. Please keep politics and religion out of it. We are here to have fun, and those topics usually lead to anything but fun.

Keep it clean. No vulgarity, bigoted remarks, etc.

Moderator: Founders

When I or others join GG, I want them to have

Poll ended at Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:53 am

the lowest gun level of existing players. (Current settings)
30%
the median gun level of existing players.
70%
the highest gun level of existing players.
No votes

Total votes: 10

LMPK

Regarding the Handicap - For your consideration.

Post by LMPK »

Will the powers that be please reconsider changing the Handicap settings on the GG Server? I believe setting the handicap to median instead of lowest level will contribute to happier game play. I've mentioned this in-server and the objection was that people complain when a new player joins and has a higher level than someone who started at the beginning. In my opinion that's an incentive to keep up with the pace. Only the players that aren't doing well would have a negative experience but still the difference wouldn't be that large if they are trying.

The other side of the coin is the glitch that occurs when two join at the same time and are assigned level 1. I watch the sever information before I connect and do not join when I see a player with 0 or 1 in their score. I'm assuming they just joined too and when we both connect the server will assign us both at level 1, the AWP. The draw back to this is you can't see their deaths to see if they are actually playing or not. Also AFK's are not being moved to spectate and drags us down also. Then again you can't work around it if someone is just not that good and is trying to learn CS by playing your gungame server like last night:

Click the image to see the full screenshot

1and 29 really? This guy was on when I started last night and stayed for 3 or more maps afterward, never getting past AWP. Tried to help him, but everyone gave up and used him as a guppy for an easy kill.

I know many others feel the same and I hope they will speak up here if they get a chance. Please change the handicap setting and I will love you a long time (and you will not hear me say "Get some levels!"

Please feel free to discuss

Thanks - Lee Harvey

kodachrome
STEAM ID: STEAM_0:1:10668829

Re: Regarding the Handicap - For your consideration.

Post by kodachrome »

I agree. Something needs to be done with the handicap.
As long as it doesn't do the opposite and when a new player joins it puts them higher than the average player.
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

sinister1

Post by sinister1 »

that's a pretty familiar screenshot. Not the bottom player but the top! :-)

Action
STEAM ID: STEAM_0:0:3305049

Post by Action »

:lol: sin thats funny.... well i dont care to much for a handicap but others may need it ....I enjoy joining the server as an underdog but that may not really help server traffic so i would say whatever is best for the traffic to the server is what you all should go with ....
AJ's The Name Funs The Game!

grandma death

Post by grandma death »

that's a pretty familiar screenshot. Not the bottom player but the top!

Yeah Sin, I bet when you close your eyes at night this is what you see..*nudge, nudge* wake up little Sin, you are having a dream. Thats right, a DREAM, and I will knife you back to reality :lol:

GD
"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan
In God We Trust

grandma death

Post by grandma death »

As far as the handicap, I see positives both ways, but I hate like hell to be in an entire game, a chance to win, and someone who just joined comes in and wins the whole thing.

GD
"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan
In God We Trust

Meatball
STEAM ID: 0:1:14589449

Post by Meatball »

I believe it should stay on the low end. Reason being those who are higher up in levels have invested time in getting to where they are. There is nothing more aggrevating when a new player gets a head start and beats out those who started at the beggining of the round. Also you have to admit each round only takes approx 5 minutes so new players shouldnt complain about having to start at the bottom - all the other players started there - its only a few minutes. Besides if being the under dog for a few minutes bothers you then perhaps you should reconsider why you are playing?? It's a game and it is suppose to be fun.

D-Bug
STEAM ID: STEAM_0:0:726294

Post by D-Bug »

All I know is that it's pretty frustrating when your getting down to the end of a round, and out of nowhere you get popped with an AWP! And while everyone's on pistols you now have to put up with snipers. I would actually like to see them at the bottom of the pack, just not square one.

“You know, without boating, ¾ of the earths surface would be a total waste!”

LMPK

Post by LMPK »

Gungame Mod has only the three settings included in the vote. Four, if you want to count turning it off. Hmmm... that sounds better. Might as well turn it off if the minimum setting is bugged. That way everyone who joins suffers the same.

-Lee Harvey

alldaves

Post by alldaves »

I believe I have changed my mind, two nights in a row I have joined on para whie someone was throwing nades.....