is your game/app minimizing to the taskbar/losing focus?

Need help with a technical matter? Ask here for help.
A.T.O.M.
STEAM ID: 0:0:36556097

is your game/app minimizing to the taskbar/losing focus?

Post by A.T.O.M. »

possible scenario: you're happily playing CS in full screen when, all of a sudden, it MINIMIZES TO THE TASKBAR!!!

WTF?

maybe your tasty Saranac Vanilla Stout bumped into the windows key? - no, that's not it. hmmm...

this can happen with any application on probably any OS, where an app will lose keyboard focus or, in the case of CS for me, minimize to the taskbar WHILE you're playing

i noticed this in apps like Firefox and Thunderbird at first - where i'd be typing along and at some point what i was typing wasn't being typed anymore. in my case this was because another application was stealing keyboard focus. trying to find the problem app wasn't easy because, at first, i had no idea what was causing this (hardware? driver? another app?) and i never saw anything change on my display.

anyway, i suspected another program was stealing keyboard focus, so i wrote a tiny application to monitor my specified application (cs:s in my case) to try and find the problem and it worked! i had my answer in a few hours and the problem, for me, was COMODO UPDATER!

so, if you're running Comodo firewal/CIS/whatever and you're also noticing similar stuff, try disabling the auto-update feature of Comodo

if you think you're having the same problem, but aren't running Comodo, let me know and i'll re-upload my little app somewhere so you can use it

Meatball
STEAM ID: 0:1:14589449

Re: is your game/app minimizing to the taskbar/losing focus?

Post by Meatball »

I have this same problem. When I first join CSS the game keeps crashing to the task bar. It only lasts for the first 10 minutes then it seems to disappear but its still annoying. Dol and Crispy keep knifing me while I am blind lol. Only solution I have at the moment is to go to spek for the first bit????

A.T.O.M.
STEAM ID: 0:0:36556097

Re: is your game/app minimizing to the taskbar/losing focus?

Post by A.T.O.M. »

you know this topic is about a year old :)

not to worry however - i may have a little tool that can help you out. check out WinFocusMon - a little app i scripted for just such a purpose